Share

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How to get marriage certificate in Kerala






I recently registered my marriage and got my marriage certificate after a few day's effort in Kerala. I am sharing my learning through this post.

As per Kerala Government order in 2008, all marriages happening after 2008 should be mandatory registered under the respective local body (Panchayath, Municipality or Corporation) where the marriage was held. For example if your marriage occurred in a temple under Aluva Municipality you should register your marriage under Aluva Municipality. Registration will happen only between 11 AM and 3 PM. So, if you go there some other time you may have to go again.

Procedure varies according to the time period you are registering after the marriage.

With in 45 days- As per rules you should ideally register your marriage with in 45 days. If you are registering your marriage with in 45 days you need the following documents.
  1. Filled up application form with one duplicate copy. You need to affix two photos each of bride and bridegroom.
  2. A certificate from the religious institution where marriage was held.
  3. Copy of Marriage Invitation (Good to have.)
  4. 2 copies of certificate (SSLC book, Passport or Voters ID) to prove age of bride and bridegroom attested by a gazetted officer.

Once you have all the documents, both bride and bridegroom need to go to the respective local body office with two witnesses. Witnesses should have identity proof. Fees for the registration is 10 rupees.

It may not take much time to complete the proceedings and will get your marriage certificate, but all depends on the official you are dealing with :-). If you are lucky you will get it with in one day. As per rules you should get it with in 5 days after submitting the application.


With in 45 days and 1 year - The more delay you make proceedings become tougher. If you are registering your marriage with in 45 days and 1 year you need the following documents.

  1. Filled up application form with one duplicate copy. You need to affix two photos each of bride and bridegroom. In addition you need to get both forms attested by a gazetted officer , MLA, MP or member of the local body. The same person should attest both forms.
  2. A certificate from the religious institution where marriage was held.
  3. Copy of Marriage Invitation (Good to have.)
  4. 2 copies of certificate (SSLC book, Passport or Voters ID) to prove age of bride and bridegroom attested by a gazetted officer.
  5. One application in white paper with 5 rupees stamp mentioning the reason for delay.

Once you have all the documents, both bride and bridegroom need to go to the respective local body office with two witnesses. Witnesses should have identity proof. Fees for the registration is 100 rupees. My situation was this. It took me 3-4 days to get it because I was not clear about the procedures and the officials were not helping much.

After 1 year - After 1 year proceedings become more tougher. You need the approval from the registrar general at the district level and it may take more time. If you are registering your marriage after 1 year you need the following documents.

  1. Filled up application form with two duplicate copies. You need to affix three photos each of bride and bridegroom. In addition you need to get all the three forms attested by a gazetted officer, MLA, MP or member of the local body. The same officer should attest all the forms.
  2. A certificate from the religious institution where marriage was held.
  3. Copy of Marriage Invitation (Good to have.)
  4. 2 copies of certificate (SSLC book, Passport or Voters ID) to prove age of bride and bridegroom attested by a gazetted officer.
  5. One application in white paper with 5 rupees stamp mentioning the reason for delay.

Once you have all the documents, both bride and bridegroom need to go to the respective local body office with two witnesses. Witnesses should have identity proof. Fees for the registration is 250 rupees. It may take more time because one copy needs to be sent to the district registrar general and needs his approval.


The detailed government order you can see here:

http://www.go.lsgkerala.gov.in/files/gz2008229_6397.pdf


Kerala government says you can apply online but detailed procedures are not listed any where.
Read our Previous Post

50 comments:

എസ്സ്.അഭിലാഷ് said...

Why need register Special marriage act marriages ?!

sreejith said...

Corrected it. I don't think registration is required if marriage is registered under special marriage act. I wrongly interpreted the order. This is what is given in the order:

"Provided that the marriages, the registration of which is compulsory under
any other statutory provisions, need not be registered under these Rules and
such marriages shall be registered under the respective statutory provisions:"

വെള്ളി രേഖ said...

Well done congratulations

Pravesh said...

online site...
http://cr.lsgkerala.gov.in/Index.php

Unknown said...

Hai.... i am goingto get married on april 15th and i want my marriage certificate on the very next day for my visa processing... so is it possible to get that on the very next day if i submit all the necessary documents... please do reply immediately.....

sreejith said...

Hi Simi,

If you go with all the necessary documents mentioned in the first case- with in 45 days it won't be difficult to get the certificate the same day. But make sure that the concerned officials are there on the day when you go there- Sreejith

Praveen said...

Thanks! This was very useful.

Sunith said...

Helpful article, Thank!. How do i get marriage certificate, I have already uploaded my details in "http://cr.lsgkerala.gov.in" and which is in currently in "not submitted" state.

My details:
Married on 2006 and currently in abroad. Spouse is currently in kerala. Please guide me

Unknown said...

Thanks. Very informative.

thabshi said...

nice..gud job... appreciated... Thanks for your post..

arun said...

I want to rejister in marrage out side kerala if we can do that

sreejith said...

Hi Arun, I think procedure is almost the same in most Indian states.

Sreejith

Unknown said...

thanks man..its useful..

Truely Marry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

My brother is newly married and he can't register the marriage due to technical reasons he went delhi now.The delay of registration is now 32 days & He cann't come now What to do?

Unknown said...

"As per rules you should get it with in 5 days after submitting the application."
could you please give the source of this information or any reference link. I am going to marry next month and want to get certificate very next day.

Unknown said...

I am trying to get my marriage certificate since two year.I married in 1996 and presently working in UAE. They making me crazy, I experienced there is a row of stupid beggers sitting in Guruvayoor municipality marriage section. The rule and regulation made should not be made the people crazy.

Unknown said...

Hi,

Can anyone advise me as to how to get a copy of the marriage certificate. I got married in 2012 and registered the day after my wedding .I have lost my certificate and I need to get the copy for visa purposes.

sreejith said...

Hi Priya you can visit http://www.cr.lsgkerala.gov.in/regsearch.php and provide the required details. You will be able to search and take a print out of the certificate.

sreejith said...

Bijoy,

Did you get your certificate ?

Your case falls under the case 3 that I have mentioned.
If you are unable to get the certificate even after submitting all the documents why can't you file an RTI ? An RTI will help you to get it. - Sreejith

Unknown said...

hi sreejith,
My name is jaison, now working in dubai, i want to get married with my girlfrnd, we are in same district in kerala,and we both belongs to a christian family and i want to know what are the documents required for the register marriage.
can i register our marriage in other districts in kerala..?
she only have a copy of her voters id, by this can we register our marriage.

If there is any objection from her parents ,should registar has the right to cancel our marriage registration

waiting for your valuable reply

REGARDS
JAISON

Unknown said...

Hi, I am English and married a NRI in 2009, I'm now led to believe he already has a wife whom he married in 2007 in India. How do I get confirmationof this?

sreejith said...

Hi Melani,

It will be difficult to find out if the person is already married or not in India. Check his passport, but it will reflect that only if he has updated the martial status while applying for passport. If your husband is from Kerala and marriage is registered then you can find out online but you need to provide a lot of inputs like the local authority where the marriage is registered

Unknown said...

Hi Sreejith,
We are Hindu Nair.My daughter is getting married in couple of days. The Thalikettu will be held will be held at Guruvayur temple and rest of the marriage ceremony will be held at an auditorium away from our home. Pl guide where should the marriage have to be registered and how ?.

certificate said...

Hi,

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
Also see my site Document Attestation Company in Bhubaneswar.

Keep it Up...!!

Unknown said...

Hi sreejith,
I want to marry my girl friend.without support of our parents,now im at dubai, both we are belong to hindu.but diffrent sub cast. now im at dubai.. i will get 10 day leave .. then how can

Anonymous said...

my marriage was on 2005 and i need marriage certificate to issue my passport..What are the procedures to get my marriage certificate.

Anonymous said...

my marriage was on 2005 and i need marriage certificate to issue my passport..What are the procedures to get my marriage certificate.

deepthi said...

thanks a lot...god bless

Unknown said...

Thanks for the valuable information

Unknown said...

Thanks for the valuable information

Unknown said...

Thanks for the valuable information

Unknown said...

hiii
I got married in november 2012.The address proof which we gave during marriage registration differs from that of current address proof, is it possible to change the address in marriage certificate .what should I do.

Liji Bobby said...

Hi,
I got married in the year 2007. We had been to a panchayat office from the same place where the marriage had taken place. They provided us with a marriage deed. When we went to open a joint account in the back after 5 yrs it was informed to us that this is not a marriage certificate and this is only a deed. This cannot be accepted. Can you please let me know the procedure to get a marriage certificate and what are the documents that are required for the same.

Dr.Aravind S BAMS said...

Thank you mr.sreejith... Very informative and nice explanation

Unknown said...

I need to get my marriage certificate after two years and right now my husband is in abroad .so without him I can get the certificate? Even if i provide all the necessary documents.Pls reply urgent

manjoos said...

Hai sreejith
my name is manju . may marriage is 5 th November 2006. but cannot register marriage. my husband was only id proof. he has no sslc book. driving licence an passport is outdated. i can register the marriage now

Unknown said...

Hi,
Could you please help me with the procedure how to obtain the marriage certificate.I`m bite confused from where to obtain the certificate.
Is it from bride or groom place(Panchayath/Municipality).

I wish you get it as soon as possible. so that I can go ahead with the attestation formalities to apply for her UAE visa.

Thank you.

Alex said...

Hi,

We got married in 1988 in church in Kerala. I need to apply for a marriage certificate or registration. What are my options?

Liza said...

Hai.im a malaysian married to an indian keralite.we both are muslim.my marriage held in Malaysia
It.has been 4 years.now I need a marriage certificate from kerala,india.what would.be the procedure.plz guide me.

saleem said...

Hi dear Iam in abraod in ksa right now I got married held in kerala now i came back to SAUDI ARABIA I need a marrigae ceritificate for to make passport for my wife its mentioning name of mine as hussband i would like to know the formalities to make marriage certificate without my presnce

saleem said...

Hi dear Iam in abraod in ksa right now I got married held in kerala now i came back to SAUDI ARABIA I need a marrigae ceritificate for to make passport for my wife its mentioning name of mine as hussband i would like to know the formalities to make marriage certificate without my presnce

Unknown said...

Hello Sreejith,

I got married recently from Kerala(thiruvalla) and Iam facing issues with the marriage registration.

As soon as our marriage was over we had got a letter from "karayoogam" stating that we had got married.

We went to the registration office with all the required documents. But from the registration office the concerned person is saying the letter that was given from "karayoogam" is not stating that this is your first marriage and hence our matriage cant be registered unless the letter is reissud stating that this is our first marrage. Currently it is stating that we got married in so and so date/time/place/family details etc.

We then contacted the Karayogam person and he is saying that this is the usual format they give the letter.

Iam totally confused now. Can you guide me what should be done?

How can I produce any proof stating that this is my first marriage?

Thanks and Regards,
Deepak

Unknown said...

Marriage is the process by which two people make their relationship public, official, and permanent. top wedding photographers in kerala

Unknown said...

I have registered my marriage. I have received the certificate online. But I am not sure if the online print out is just enough for official purposes like passport editing? Anybody please help.. If any Gazetted attestation is needed??

Best Court Marriage Delhi said...

Great Article
The Revenue Department of Delhi Government comes out with a tatkal option for quick marriage registration and a couple receives the original certificate within 24 hours. This tatkal Court Marriage in Delhi requires all necessary documents on a priority basis and thus a couple can carry out all the legal proceedings without any worries.

Unknown said...

i have married 30 year before in church now i require civil arraignment certification
how can i get it

please guide me

thanks

GST said...

Hello, Sreejith sir thank you so much for this blog. In India, Marriages can be registered either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954. It is a legal proof you are married and the most vital document of a marriage. In 2006, the Supreme Court made it compulsory to register the marriage for women protection.
Marriage registration

Harish said...

A Online Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) is a secure key that is used for validating the identity of the person who is signing a document. Digital Signature Certificate is issued by the Certifying Authority recognized by the government.

Vikash Rajput said...

Nice Blog. Thanks for sharing information.
Court marriage in Delhi